Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Random Murray Hill Moment...


Entrance to clubhouse

As a history major, I found myself very interested in the Union League Club in my neighborhood.  Founded during the American Civil War in 1863, the club was started as a political organization in direct opposition to the Confederacy.  A progressive and liberal group for the time, the club equipped the first African American infantry for Union service. 

This was, obviously, a huge step during the time and the Union League Club was considered to be quite radical.  

The club continues to be a largely involved in the community and in certain political issues today.  
Plaque outside clubhouse



Clubhouse building
I, of course, wanted to interview the club for a journalism piece. Unfortunately, the club was not very receptive to my advances.  After calling, emailing, and even showing up at the club, I realized they were not going to answer any of my questions.  

They helped America overcome a lot of prejudices during the Civil War, but apparently they can't handle a young journalist asking a few questions.  I guess I shouldn't really be upset though.  I mean, who's listening to this group of old white men anyway?  

No comments:

Post a Comment